Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Outback, and I can't get it started. The

Customer Question
I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 Outback, and I can't get it started. The starter grinds a little and then I get flashing dashboard lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No. How do I do that?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am an 82 yr old woman. It has been frigid cold here, but it started four days ago. Now it won't.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has a new battery, and about 33,000 miles on it. It's in good condition.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Subaru
1/3/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you had any checks done on the starter itself as this sounds like the starter shorting out. What needs to be done is have a starter draw test done. This is done with a tester to see how much ampere the starter is drawing and if over the allowed amount it needs replacing, and with your info sounds very much so. There is not much more you can do right now without having that test done . Is there anything else I can do for you or clarify? If you do not do this soon and is the starter it will totally fail and won't start at all.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.