Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I can't get my fuel door open and the local dealer can't get…

Customer Question
I can't get my...

I can't get my fuel door open and the local dealer can't get me in until a week from now. I'll run out of gas before then.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Same as usual. I'm in Ithaca, NY and we've had very cold temperatures.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2014 outback wagon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried putting a key in the area between the fuel door and car but that didn't work. I'm wondering if the release inside is stuck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I park my car outside as we don't have a garage.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Subaru
1/2/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Is the fuel door cable release or electric?

Cable release.

Thanx for that info.Have you checked to see if the cable is still attached to the release lever first or the problem is at the door itself?

Have you tried having somone hitting the fuel door as you pull on the release?

If all that fails what needs to be done is the same thing we would do at the shop, and that is to pull the inner plastic side panel away from the inside so you can get at the door mechanism to release it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

you can try this carefully.

Let me know which way you want to try.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician