Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I got stuck with my 2008 manual Outback. Trying to get it…

Customer Question
I got stuck with my...
I got stuck with my 2008 manual Outback. Trying to get it out I got a bad smell and reverse would slip out after that. 4 hours after and reverse still slips to N. I'm on a long and remote road trip! Should I replace transmission oil or just try to avoid reverse for 20 more days? (Until I go back to my dealer)
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Subaru
1/1/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this.

If you are able to explain it, what it smell like? And did you hear any noises when the transmission started to slip?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It did a noise when started to slip. Short deep noise. Kind of doing it again every time it slips.
Smell is like the typical oil over heated transmission oil I guess. I had this smell years ago on other car.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm nor sure you can call non US numbers. Lets stay on chat

Okay got it. It is possible that the oil overheated and is not allowing it to fully stay engaged due to limited friction. If you are able to replace the oil/filter that would definitely be a good thing to try out before condemning the transmission. Are you somewhere that there would be any repair shops nearby? Ok chat is fine with me, you can ignore the call prompts

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I can change the oil. But why is it slipping only the reverse and not any other gear? It seems to me I have damaged the reverse only. I did 50miles after that with all gears all good. Just reverse is doing it. I don't think the reverse has separate oil tank! Am I missing something?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All gears meaning from 1 to 5. Not reverse. Reverse still has a problem. Big time:-)

Ahh my apologies, I missed the part that said it was a manual transmission, I had assumed it was automatic. If you are only missing the reverse gear and it is a manual transmission then chances are there is a gear/synchronizer issue, unfortunately that is not something that the fluid would affect

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are you proposing then?

I would recommend getting in in to a repair center to check it out, If you think you are able to make it back home without needing reverse than that is an option as well

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. And you are sure only change of oils won't make things ok?

Yes, if it was an oil/lubrication issue at this point you would be having issues with the forward gears as well

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. And if I go to a center they won't probably need Subaru parts to fix it?
I'm asking cause there are centers here but there aren't any Subarus! Not even one. So I don't want to start something there that can't be done! Are they parts needed on repairing this or it's just repairing / synchronizing enough?
If parts are needed do they have to be Subaru parts or they share the same transmission parts with many other cars too?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PS: I need help to get me out of trouble soon. I am far and I have to drive 2000 miles until home. I don't have warranty so I just need the best practical solution to get home safe. At home I know what to do to make it like new.

There are aftermarket companies that make Subaru replacement parts, but it depends on your area. I would recommend calling and asking a few shops before taking it in and wasting time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would any center have parts for Subarus, made from others than Subaru, somewhere that there aren't any Subarus at all?!! They won't have any parts FOR Subarus. They will have parts for other cars only.
That's why I asked if the SHARE transmission parts with other car manufacturers.

Okay it seems like I am unable to help here and there is miscommunication going on. I will opt out and open this up to a new expert, good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks anyway and no personal problem with you. It's just so happens I am in a place with no parts for Subaru (original or aftermarket). So it would be nice to know if there are parts needed for this fix or not and if yes, if these parts are used for other cars as well (and which ones).
Subaru Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Pete, Mechanic

I have overhauled a few of these transmissions, and to answer your question, no other cars share the internal parts that you will need. I would get the gear oil in the trans changed. When they change it the little pieces of the damaged gear will come out with the oil. Avoid using reverse and you should make it home. On a side not I had a supra, a long time ago, and drove it for a year with no reverse.

.

Pete, Mechanic