Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2015 Subaru forester suddenly started shaking / vibrating…

Customer Question
2015 Subaru forester suddenly...

2015 Subaru forester suddenly started shaking / vibrating when I reach 50 mph. I back the speed to down 45 and the sever shaking was minimal. I pulled off the freeway 3 times just to make sure I didn't have a low or flat tire and the tires all appeared fine. I live in Idaho but commute to work in Oregon. The temperature last night was 20 and the freeway was clear of snow, Any idea why this happen? Years ago 1973 I had a VW bug do the vibration dance and it was a Kaput steering dampener causing the grief. The Subura's vibration intensity was not as bad as my 69 VW bug but certainly had my full attention last night. After working 14 hours at my hospital the last thing I wanted to do was end up in an ER as a patient. Thank you for any suggestions you might have

Mechanic's Assistant: How often does the vibration occur, and when did you last have the tires balanced?

This was the first time and the tires were balanced approx 2 months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

I wanted to trouble shoot the problem first. I didn't arrive home last night until midnight. My husband hasn't had a chance to look at the vehicle. On a walk around the car several times last night - the tire's looked good. I looked to see if there was ice build up but it was too dark to see

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That the vibration was noticeable until I reached speed of 49-52

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
12/26/2017
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually with a vibration at a higher speed then goes away at a lower speed indicates a tire out of balance or ice/mud or snow build up stuck on the back side of the rim.I have seen all of these cause this fault here.Even if the tires were balanced just recently if the balance weights did not secure properly ( which can be common ) then you can actually pitch a weight when driving or hitting a bump causing the unbalanced issue.

I would start with checking the back side of the rim for any ice build up as well as any bent rim.If this is o.k, have the tires re checked for a balance issue.Another thing that can occur is a belt can break or come apart inside a tire and causes this and can be near impossible to see from the outside of the tire.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician