Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My Subaru Outback was purchased New in Sep, 2016. In

Customer Question
My Subaru Outback was...

My Subaru Outback was purchased New in Sep, 2016. In November I noticed a small crack in my window. Located on shotgun side about 12" from right side and about 2" in length. I called Subaru dealer and asked if it was covered by warranty and told no that Insurance has to cover in Kentucky. We have policy that if no claims, we receive a nice rebate. Was going to hold off until January. Roughly a week or so ago the crack grew to the left about 6 or 8 inches. I called dealer and they advised it was due to changing temperatures. It grew another 6" yesterday. I went out today (I live in a condominium and park in a garage whose temperature is in the 60's) it is in the 20's and the crack grew another foot. It is now beginning to worry me. The purpose behind this is the original crack started at the bottom of the windshield. It was not caused by a rock or anything hitting it, it just appeared. I think the glass is defective and even though it is over a year old, I think Subaru should replace it. I am off work today and I just phoned Subaru and it appears that they are not working today either. Any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

Has about 10,000 miles and I have not check coolant level and I would have to take it somewhere for someone to check it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Since the dealer said it was not under warranty, I was waiting for January to get here so I could get my rebate check before filing a claim, but I always thought it was probably defective glass and they didn't want to fool with it, but because that crack is rapidly growing with the cold weather, I beginning to worry that I may shortly be loosing some windshield.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think I have covered my thoughts.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Subaru
12/26/2017
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I have seen several times when a glass is installed if three is a sharp weld on the body it will rub on the glass and crack it or it was cracked when it installed.The crack will continue to move or extend while driving and with temperature changes.Usually when new the manufacturer will cover it if the dealer examined it and deemed this was not a crack related to any road debris or outside issues.If they did not do this for you the only option you have is to contact Subaru customer service at the number below and explain the entire thing to them to see if they will cover it.

1(###) ###-####/p>

I know some insurances do not use the windshield claim against the policy so if Subaru will not cover it then I would see if your insurance applies like this.They sometimes offer a one-time free replacement or low deductible that doesn't reflect against your policy.

But these are the only options, unfortunately.

Your windshield usually will not break, it will continue to crack until it stops but will stay in place from there.I have seen several windshields like this before and they crack until they stop ( usually at another glue down point) and then hold.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete