Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

This question regards a 2002 Forester JE25. The head gaskets…

Customer Question
This question regards ***** *****...
This question regards ***** ***** Forester JE25. The head gaskets needed replacement after the engine overheated.In reinstalling the timing belt after having the heads shaved and serviced, I lined up the mark on the LH cam sprocket with the one on the new plastic inner cover and the RH sprocket with the mating seam between the head and block.When I rotate the engine now, it encounters a hard block (only one) when I turn it in either direction. The spark plugs are out. It seems the most likely cause would be that the timing is off.The belt is a Mitsubishi and it is serviceable, but does not have the marks that an original Subaru belt would have.Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Subaru
12/25/2017
Subaru Mechanic: George H., Subaru Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

You say it overheated? Was the rotation checked when the heads were off?

Was any machine work done or just the gaskets?

No, the rotation was not checked per se when the heads were removed, however the movement seemed free.The heads were tanked, serviced and shaved by the most reliable machinist in the county.

OK, you can test if they cams turn freely by turning the crank 90 degrees off its mark. The dot on the crank gear it the #1 piston position and if you have that 90 degrees off its mark all the pistons are down in their bores. If you still have the problem with one of the cam sprockets you know where to go.

Be sure you are using the correct mark on the crank, as I posted above it is NOT the dot on the gear, it is the timing pulse trigger on the wheel behind the gear and it has the line mark on it.

Last you can put your own marks on the belt. Click here for diagram

Distance Z1 from center is 46.8 teeth and Z2 is 43.7 teeth.

Let me know how I can help

I removed the belt and tried rotating the crank. Going either direction, it encountered the obstacle about 5% short of the 90% (to the driver side) mark. Does this mean I'll have to pull the engine again?

It sounds like it is hitting. Manual or auto trans?

Have you forced this at any point? Or just stopped when it got hard?

If you turn the crank as far as you can then turn both cams off their marks (you can feel when all the spring pressure is off the cam) does the crank then turn all the way around?

Automatic trans, I have not forced it more than maybe 10 - 15 foot-poundsHaving the cams off the lobes seems to makr no difference to the blockage to the crank

Then I think you need to see that the torque converter turns freely, maybe disconnect it from the flex plate and if you still have the problem pull the engine and remove the heads then see if the crank turns freely. I don't think any damage has been done yet but something is wrong here and the only way to find out is to isolate the problem to the heads or the short block.

Please let me know what further questions you have, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks

The torque converter is unbolted from the flex plate already, so out comes the engine. Merry Christmas!

OK, sorry for the bad news but at least this one is pretty easy to pull.

\

Subaru Mechanic: George H., Subaru Certified Technician replied 1 month ago

Do you have further questions about this? If nothing further please complete the rating

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi George,After I pulled the engine again, the cause of the rotation blockage became apparent when I removed the DS cylinder head. The fire ring on the liner sleeve had formed a small crack and a small sliver had protruded into the cylinder, causing the blockage. The crank had rotated freely 350% before the heads were pulled the first time. I assume the sliver was still held in place at that time by the torque pressure. Best guess is that steam escaping from the blown gasket played a roll in the crack forming.You are among good company in not deducing the solution: the best mechanics and machinist in the county, along with the servicepeople at Subaru were also stumped.I see from my bank transaction journal that my account has been charged three times: $5.00 on Dec 26; $26.00 on Dec 29; and $41.00 on Jan 1. Please furnish me with the explanation for the charges, given that you were unable to provide an answer. I will rate your performance upon the information you or your accounting department provide.

Many times disassembly is the only way to find the exact problem. I knew you had to go there which is why we went through what could be done without pulling the engine. I think by telling you the engine had to come out and heads to come off I did provide you with the means to an answer. It would not be possible for anyone to know the exact problem without removing the heads. We went through the steps to rule out anything external that would cause your symptoms. The problem would have been found if the engine was assembled properly with the necessary inspections along the way.

I have no ability or information about your account. You need to contact customer service from the help link at the bottom of every page for assistance with billing questions.

George H.
George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician