Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

It keeps stalling when i slow down for intersections.

Customer Question
It keeps stalling when...

It keeps stalling when i slow down for intersections

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Driving and the check engine light comes on when it stalls

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2009 forrester

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

New battery New spark pluds new spark leads new fuel filter engine clean

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes the car was involved in a rear end ccident 2 weeks ago. was drivable after the accident. went to panel beaters came back undrivable

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tech0405, Technician replied 4 months ago
tech0405
tech0405, Technician

Is the check engine light on when this happens or while driving ?

Check engine light comes on when it stalls

Have you had the trouble codes in the system yet to see why the light is being triggered ??

No was tested yesterday. No error codes

Ok have they checked the fuel pressure while the vehicle is running to make sure the fuel pressure is not dropping when it dies out ??

All this was done yesterday by mechanic
Carried Out Yearly Service On Vehicle , This Involved A Vehicle Saftey Inspection.
The Oil And Oil Filter Were Relpaced And All The Levels Were Topped Up .
The Spark Plugs Were Due By Time And So Was The Fuel Filter . While Inspecting The Spark Plugs Found The Rocker Cover Gaskets Were Leaking Internal Via The Tubes Seal And Extenal Or The Rocker Cover .
Removed The Old Spark Plugs And Refitted New. .there Was Oil Everywhere It Was Cleaned As Best As It Could .the Spark Plug Leads Were Oil Soaked And They Were Removed And Replaced
.the Rocker Cover Gaskets Were Replaced. While The Rocker Covers Were Off The Valve Clearances Were Checked . The Drive Belt Was Worn And It Was Replaced With A New One And It Was Tensioned To Spec.
The Right Hand Head Light Globe Was Blown And It Was Replaced With New One .
The Fuel Pressure Was Checked And A New Fuel Filter Was Fitted .
The Battery Was Load Tested And Was Week A 8.5 Volts When It Was Load Tested , The Old Battery Was Removed And A New Battery Was Refitted .
performed Prostream Petrol Intake Decarb To Remove Built Up Carbon Deposits In The Induction System, Throttle Body And Egr Valve. Remove Air Intake, Set Up Application Tool And Apply Pressurised Prostream Petrol Cleaner Into Induction System.
Added Intank Fuel System Cleaner To Treat Fuel Tank And Rest Of Fuel System For Excessive Moisture. Labour To Perform:-Yearly Service Labour To Remove And Replace:-Champion Platinum Spark Plug Labour To Remove And Replace:-Permaseal Valve Cover Gasket Labour To Remove And Replace:- Ignition Lead Set Labour To Remove And Replace:-Filter-Fuel In Line Labour To Perform: Prostream Petrol Intake Decarb Labour To Remove And Replace:- High Performance Battery 540cca Labour To Remove And Replace:-Drive Belt-Micro V At Labour To Remove And Replace:-Narva H1 P14.5s Globe 12v 55w
993.39
Materials: Engine Oil- Penrite Hpr Fs (Qty 4.5) 80.87 Waste Management Levy 15.00 Van Supplies And Consumables 9.75 Oil Filter 18.38 Champion Platinum Spark Plug (Qty 4) 135.28 Permaseal Valve Cover Gasket (Qty 2) 354.08 Ignition Lead Set 176.38 $cleaner-brake Motortech 400g (Qty 2) 21.18 Filter-fuel In Line 80.85 Prostream Intake System Decarb 49.72 Intank Fuel System Cleaner 19.15 High Performance Battery 540cca 197.04 Drive Belt-Micro V At 41.44 Narva H1 P14.5s Globe 12v 55w 25.36 2217.87 GST 221.79

Ok it seems like many items where done now did you have this issue before all this work was done ??

i was involved in a rear end collision. No mechanical issues 7 days after collision.
Sent car to panel beater came home with issues

Did the panel beater do all this mechanical work also ??

No i had an independant mechanic do the work

Ok heres what needs to be done you are either loosing fuel pressure or spark when driving especially since you have no codes in the system , you will need to have a fuel pressure tester tied into the fuel line this way you can drive and see fuel pressure to make sure its not dropping even if it had been checked and tested good you also need to have this done regarding spark to see if thats what your loosing you have to find out what your loosing spark or fuel either a issue with wiring to the fuel pump or possible tank sensor cutting out . I hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback for the help provided thank you

how could i be losing spark with new spark plugs?
stalling occurs when i take my foot off the accelerator, not in the middle of driving

Even if you have new spark plugs dont mean you can't be loosing spark at the time of the vehicle stalling out theres many things that can cause you too loose spark like faulty wiring , faulty ground signal , bad crank sensor cutting this is why you need to do the things i listed before to check what your loosing causing the stalling out issue

i need to check the fuel pressure while driving

Correct you can attach a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel system and see if the fuel pressure drops when the car dies out

if that passes then what else could it be

Like stated previously if thats good then check for spark the same way tied into the ignition system while driving you have to be loosing one or the other for the car to die out , please dont forget the feedback i will still help you after the feedback

tech0405
tech0405
tech0405, Technician