Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Are you online now? 1997 outback legacy. I want to fix it…

Customer Question
Hi. are you...

Hi. are you online now?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

1997 outback legacy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I want to fix it myself. Bare in mind, I have a bachlors degree in both electrical and mechanical engineering. We bought the car new, the alarm system has ALWAYS malfunctioned. After taking to to the delear SEVERAL times while under warntee, the kept "adjusting" it, but it never did work correctly. It goes off when not armed, it goes off when the car has no one around, it's even gone off when the doors get closed, and stops if they are opened! I would like to simple disable it for good. Right now, the car is dead because the alarm is going off even though it was never armed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Yep

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That I love the car, but HATE the alarm system. lol

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
12/19/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 5 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do my best to help you today.To make sure I don't miss anything give me a minute to review you question.

okay.

Is this a factory alarm to the best of your knowledge?

it is. We bought the car new in 97 and the alarm was in it then.

From your description it should have a shock sensor also, correct?

I would assume so if that's part of the factory package.

It's actually a add on that detects movement of vehicle ,the shock sensor was mounted to the steering support beam that runs behind the dash board ,directions called for it to be placed on the beam near the steering column on drivers side, its a black box a little larger than a pack of cigarettes just unplug it to see if your problems go away.

I will try that. This may take me a little while, though.

The knee bolster needs to be removed to get access to it the box is black and does say shock sensor on it and is usually held in place with a tywrap

I will try that soon. Right now, I'm with my autistic son. His mom will be back in about a half hour and I will try unpluging the shock sensor then. I take it this is a common malfunction on these modlles?

Yes it is,being a 20 year old vehicle I can still remember

wow and lol. It's been a great car except for that.
That did not work. I still can get the alarm to quit going off. Please help.

Sorry ,I thought you were going to do that today,this is integrated with the keyless entry system, the easiest is to cut siren wires under hood , but to totally remove this you will need to also cut wires at module from switch that is mounted on dash and remove starter interlock which has a pigtail that plugs into ignition switch harness,I cannot find install directions from this year based on it's age so I'm doing this all from memory,let me know how it goes ,I will be on later in the evening,thanks!

What time zone are you in? Im in eastern. I can work on it now till 5:00pm, and start working on it again around 8:30pm. I need to know which wires need bypassed to remove the system completely. It has the entire car locked up. My key is even stuck in the ignition because it won't let me turn it enough to release it.

I'm also in Eastern time zone,my regular job cuts into time spent here ,sorry .I believe the wires won the siren are red and white,the vwires from the blinking switch are blue,orange and white and i believe the wires for starter interlock are white coming off ignition switch harness the connectors are blue,remove the pigtail reconnect original connectors,hope this helps

The battery should be checked ,the alarm has nothing to due with the key being stuck in the ignition or this could be a ignition switch fault

Okay. I can try this around 8:30 tonight. It's okay if there's a delay. I fully understand that. I thank you for your help. I had to pull the battery to keep the car quite. lol. So, If the wires are white (I will check that for sure first), I just cut them from the connector and splice them together?

No just cut the wires and tape ends

Oh. Okay. Thanks

After you reinstall the battery to stop alarm from going off just either press lock /unlock on the fob or with the key in the on position pressb reset button located by hood release

Okay. I forgot where that dang button was. lol. Sadly, the fobs quit working about 4 months ago. We tried replacing the batteries, but no go. Thanks

How is it going?

Have not had an op to try it. I do Santa at this time of year and time gets tight. lol

No worries ,Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too.

I was going to mention this but was unaware you do no use the keyless entry, you can simply just disconnect the white connectors on the module to disable the system totally but still remove the pigtail connector from the ignition switch harness,thanks

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician