Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2013 Subaru forester. It has the original short…

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 Subaru forester. It has the original short block. It has 154, 000 on it. It needs a reseal for the cam carriers and front cover seal along with replacing the spark plugs and coils as well as front cat and associated exhaust. Wondering if I should replace short block at same time. It has not failed yet but not sure if most fail or not. Is there any data on this?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

154,000. I should continue at the same rate, about 30,000 a year.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will need to get it fixed. Sadly duck tape won't do the trick. Any recommendations from Subaru or guideline on short block in the 2013 foresters? It does burn more than 6 quarts between oil changes.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Subaru
oil consumption averaged 1 quart per 833 miles. One mechanic thinks there is oil in tail piper. Subaru deals mechanics said just carbon buildup in cat and exhaust, no oil.
12/19/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 6 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do my best to help you today.To make sure I don't miss anything give me a minute to review you question.

Hi,Subaru has a guide line of about 10.4 oz of oil usage per 1200 miles, if this vehicle is is good shape and you plan on keeping vehicle please consider replacing shortblock,if you are a loyal Subaru customer I would consider calling 1-800-Subaru3 to see if maybe some assistance is available,the oil leakage from camcases etc... should not cause 1 quart in 833 miles ,do you know if they performed compression test along with a cylinder leakdown test to back up their carbon build up theory?

They did not.

These engines have a history of oil getting past rings the oil is going somewhere in my opinion it's excessive and I would change out shortblock

Sadly that was my thinking too. Is is worth having them run more diagnostics?

No, but it would be wise to call Subaru to see if they offer any help,you may need oil change receipts to show that you've maintained engine ,whats the worst that can happen?

thanks for the fast answers, and for ignoring my typos. Have a good night.

You too, I hope you take my advice, remember the worst they can say is no.