Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

When I drive the car over 55 MPH the rpms spike up and the…

Customer Question
When I drive the...

When I drive the car over 55 MPH the rpms spike up and the rear wheel almost feels like it stops turning or the care pulls back. You can hear the tire squeak. I brought to auto mechanic aamco and they said I need new transmission. They installed new transmission and the problem is still occurring it is a subaru outback 2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Has nothing to do with steering.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '55 Subaru?

Subaru 2010 Outback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Aamco has had it for 5 week trying to figure out why the car is doing that. They put a new transmission in the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car has 130 000 miles

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
12/14/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

The first thing I would check would be the tire sizes. You need to make sure all of the tires are within a few centimeters of one another. To do this you can mark each tire with chalk or crayon at the bottom position, then drive straight forward about 20 feet and stop with the chalk mark back in the bottom position. Check all of the tires- if the chalk mark is more than 2 centimeters away from the bottom position then the problem you are seeing is due to the tires.

I've seen this before. On one subaru it was so bad that the axle burned up, but you couldn't tell that one tire was smaller by looking at it. We had to do the chalk trick to determine the problem.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

I'd love to help you get this diagnosed/fixed.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician