Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 1990 Subaru Loyale that was running well and then…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 1990...
Hi, I have a 1990 Subaru Loyale that was running well and then just shut off. It also had relatively low oil pressure at idle, and a lifter tick that suddenly appeared and was quite loud. It won't restart and turns over too fast and uneven and no spark.I think the left timing belt went?What is the procedure to replace the timing belts? Could the lifter noise be from the timing belt too?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
12/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 5 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can inspect the camshaft or rocker arms through the oil fill cap and have someone crank it over to see if they are moving.If they are not then most likely the timing belt failed which may have bent valves in the cylinder head as well needing the belt and head repaired/replaced.I can see if I can locate the procedure on this here but first, we need to see if you can tell if the cam or rockers are moving and let me know here.

Thanks Pete

Hey, so for this car it's not really possible to see the rocker arms without removing the valve cover and it's non-interference as well. Is there some way of just closing the question? I think I'll be able to get it working.

O.k., we can close this out if you don't need any more help.If you want me to help with anything else let me know here, but if not I can send this in to be closed out just let me know.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician