Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

When idling or going up it's sometimes overheating but not…

Customer Question
When idling or going...

When idling or going up hill it's sometimes overheating but not all the time and it this this last year at this time then speed and just started again 2 nights ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Checked coolant it's full

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2002 subaru outback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I work at a shop but sometimes do the work myself like I said it had stopped as suddenly as it started last year I had the head gaskets replaced in the spring due to an oil leak and it hasn't overheated til just 2 days ago it started again it doesn't do it all the time just sometimes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it my boss hasn't had time to get it in for me and just ring to troubleshoot myself

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Subaru
12/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Chris, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Check the radiator cooling fan operation. When the engine is idling and the vehicle is not moving, no air flows through the radiator and that will cause overheating.
Hello my name is Jim
Could be something as simple as a blown fuse for the fan, or a relay. The fan motor itself may have failed.
It does it going up hills too
Tha fan should come on at around 212 degrees F. And run for a couple of minutes then shut off.
Just checked the fan it's on and has been idling awhile with no problem it just seems to get a bug when it wants to
Going up hills puts more of a load on the engine and therefore more heat is generated. The fan probably needs to come on at times going uphills
Could be a poor intermittent connection or sticking fan relay
Have a shop check all of the components related to the cooling fan system. Check connectors also.
Chris
Ok just couldn't figure out why it was only sometimes thank you
You're welcome! I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it Jim. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.Thank you!Chris

You're welcome! I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it Jim. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician