Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

If i send a pic of a rod bolt can you explain what happend?

Customer Question
If i send a...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2007 impreza

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?

It had a rebuilt engine and it put a rod through the block, The bearings are fine Can i send pics on this?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

10,000 on rebuilt motor Manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can you get pics

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Yes, via the paper clip icon in the screen your typing in, you can upload pictures. You see that icon? thank you.

The bearing and crank journal is fine
we had the motor rebuilt and this occurred at 20,000 it appears that the rod bolt loosened up and was banging on the crank until it stretched and broke the bolt then it ripped the other side off
This was not oil loss or failure
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. I see you have requested a new expert on this.

This definitely can be due to incorrect torque or someone forgot to torque the bolt causing the bend and stretch until the force of the crank broke it.If your crank and crank journal, as well as bearings, are o.k. this does sound to be the case here.Usually, most places offer a warranty on their repairs.If this only occurred 20k after the rebuild was done I would speak with the facility that did the rebuild to see if they will cover or at least help with the costs to correct this.I do recommend having the crank shaft machine checked/tested at a machine shop before reassembly to make sure there are no issues with it to prevent any further damage or premature failure again.

I don't see any related bulletins or common issues on this model for this issue here so most likely it was left slightly loose working its way to cause excess slack causing this issue.There should have been a knocking noise that started to occur and may have been noticed more on a cold start.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician