Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I own a 2008 subaru STI If I replaced the ECM, BIU, and the…

Customer Question
Hi I own a 2008...
Hi I own a 2008 subaru STIIf I replaced the ECM, BIU, and the instrument cluster from one parted vehicle to my current subaru what are the chances it would work?Also, I have a constant clicking noise underneath my dash that when the key is in the off position. I have removed fuse number 7(Combination meter, Integrated unit) from for the fuse panel and the issue went away. Do you have any thoughts on this?What can cause a code reader not to communicate with the ECM?Another thing, if when I turn the key to ACC position what does it mean when the temperature reading is at th High position when the engine is cold?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you properly programed the ECU to this vehicle?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

I have not programmed the ECU. The original ECU shorted across the board due liquids entering the casing. I was hoping to get the vehicle to function by swapping out the 3 computers that communicate(ECU, BIU, Guage Cluster) from one donar car to mine. Did I do the wrong thing?

Not necessarily , but you need to program the ECU to your vehicle and that needs to be done with a shop scanner . The new or replacement ECU is not communicating with your vehicle because you need to write the vin number into it so it recognizes the vehicle it's in. Do you understand or need further explanation?

What components talk to the ECU for the car determine the VIN
Also for the temp reading high when the engine is cold do you have any suggestions?

Number one we need to get the Ecu working properly ist. The ECU takes in all sensor info from the vehicle and has to have the vin number programed into it to set the perimeters and start communicating , without the vehicle's vin number programed into it it is brain dead.

How do I get the components programmed?

This has to be done with a shop scanner as it has the software to do it . It has to write the vin number of the vehicle it's going into in the ECU so it recognizes it. Is there anything else I can explain for you ?

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician