Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My subaru impreza won't shift out of park and my brake

Customer Question
My subaru impreza won't...

My subaru impreza won't shift out of park and my brake lights don"t come on. I checked the fuses and they were good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

No, I haven't checked the brake fluid level. It's a 2012 and I've never changed the brake fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?

The fuses are all fine. Brake lights won't come on but the bulbs are good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can shift it in gear and drive if I push the little button on top of the gear shift. But the brake lights won't work and the stability control is off and so are the anti lock brakes. Lights are on

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
11/28/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Ron Z., - Subaru Tech - replied 4 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Subaru Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Are there any lights on the dash set, like the ABS or VDC?

The ABS and the TRACTION CONTROL lights are on.

Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

Ok. When the shifter will not release from Park and the brake lights are not working with and these dash lights set, the problem will lie in the Brake Light Switch. This switch controls the brake lights and it also sends a signal to the shift interlock telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. This switch is also monitored by the ABS and Trac systems, so when faulty, sets these lights. If you are certain all the fuses are good, then head right to the switch. It's located under the driver's side dash, mounted to the top of the brake pedal arm. To gain access, the driver's side lower cover assembly and the driver's side knee air bag module will need to be replaced. Once inside, inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the switch mount and contact points for any broken or misaligned parts. If no problems are found, replacing the brake light switch will solve the problem. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Subaru Tech -