Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My son has a 92 Subaru Forrester and the key/ignition is…

Customer Question
My son has a...

My son has a 92 Subaru Forrester and the key/ignition is locked and can't get the key to turn.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

The steering wheel is locked as well. Can turn to the left about 2 inches at the most and it springs back. Key is a replacement/ not factory issued.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's at his work si I just went and tried jiggling the key up and down and tried to wiggle the wheel while turning the key to no avail.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Subaru
11/28/2017
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With the key being after market it may not have been cut right or may be worn needing replaced.In allot of cases a dealer can cut a new key per your vehicles VIN number to resolve this issue here.If this does not work or you know the key is o.k. then the fault is in the ignition cylinder itself with the tumblers coming apart or jamming up needing the cylinder to be repaired or replaced.In some cases you can spary a very tiny amount of lubricant into the cylinder and work the key in it to resolve this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete