Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I was about to buy a 18 Forester and I heard about excessive…

Customer Question
I was about to...

I was about to buy a 18 Forester and I heard about excessive oil consumption. Is it true? Also is it expensive to clean under the eyesynch cameras if the windshield gets dirty? The salesman said don't get it dirty.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

I did not buy one yet, just considering it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Forester?

I was thinking of getting an 18 or 17 Forester.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

I did not get a Forester yet. I'm just considering it for tonight.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No both questions: Oil consumption and cleaning under the eyesynch cameras....how difficult is the latter?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Subaru
11/27/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 7 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do my best to help you today.To make sure I don't miss anything give me a minute to review you question.

Hi,oil consumption is no longer a issue on these vehicles,we were seeing all models with this problem in the 2011-14 models predominantly,did see a few in 2015 but have not come across the concern in newer models.All engines will consume some oil and the oil that this engine uses 0W-20 will use slightly more especially in standard transmission vehicles because some will use the engine to brake.The Eyesight cameras require no cleaning as your salesman said but the windshield will need to be kept clean of course.The washer fluid spray has a spray nozzle that will reach the camera area to help keep this area clean.If you have any other questions concerning your possible purchase please let me know ,thanks for your time.