Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My son recently picked up an '05 Outback. Double-unlock on…

Customer Question
My son recently picked...

My son recently picked up an '05 Outback. Double-unlock on remote and the door switch don't unlock the liftgate (though they do lock it). However a long-press on the liftgate unlock button on the remote does work. I assume it's in some mode to cause this behavior rather than it being a mechanical failure, but haven't been able to find the solution.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've looked through the user's manual (though not yet the shop manual) and tried various long-press combinations on the remote, plus web searches.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
11/24/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 4 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do my best to help you today.To make sure I don't miss anything give me a minute to review you question.

Hi,do all the power locks work as designed with the interior switch? If a single press of the button unlocks drivers door and a double press opens all others make sure the rear gate handle moves freely if it is not working properly this could be your reason for failure,apply a liquid lubricant to the handle to free it up and then try your remote,let me know ,thanks for your time!

1. Lock with either the door switch or the remote locks all 4 doors + liftgate (good).
2. Unlock with either the door switch or double-press with the remote unlocks all 4 doors but not the liftgate (bad).
3. Long-press of liftgate button on remote DOES unlock the liftgate.Item #3 above makes me believe that there's nothing wrong with the solenoid or lock mechanism. I'm assuming that the system is in some odd mode that I've been unable to figure out.

Hi,have you inspected the movement of the rear gate handle to see if it works freely?

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician