Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

My 99 Subaru Outback Legacy died a mile or so from my house…

My 99 Subaru Outback...

My 99 Subaru Outback Legacy died a mile or so from my house and the Check Engine light came on. Able to restart and keep it going to get home, but is sluggish. Died again and restarted on way home. Was going out of town for holiday tomorrow...of course. Any suggestions as what might do or it might be, as everything will be closed tomorrow? I assume the car will not be going anywhere...

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Have not tried anything. Check engine light comes on if I do not seal the gas cover...but it does not die like this, of course.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Thank you :-)

11/23/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Do you have access to a code reader/scanner?

No

If you can get up to the local auto parts store they can do a scan for free, this would help us determine where to go next with the issues

Text is fine.
Replaced alternator 6/17/16...feels similar when car was dying at intersections when stopped...

do you have a battery light coming on? have you checked voltage at battery when its in the failure condition?

I am not sure it will make it back and forth...think I will just have to wait. What do you think?
Should not damage car to try to drive it?
No battery light. Do not have anything to check voltage...

Hard to say without looking at it or knowing the codes, if there is anyways you get the codes scanned that would be great

Ok. Well, thank you.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Going to keep car home. Thank you for your time. Have a very nice Thanksgiving!

thanks for the great rating and happy holidays to you too!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician