Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Sunroof won't close on my 2007 Outback. There's a broken…

Customer Question
Sunroof won't close on...

Sunroof won't close on my 2007 Outback. There's a broken plastic piece in the runner

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Removed loose plastic and used the motor to try and close it but it keeps reversing

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Auto. 125 K

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Subaru
11/22/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 8 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do my best to help you today.To make sure I don't miss anything give me a minute to review you question.

Hi,it sounds like the cable guide has cracked this would require the sunroof cables and possibly the frame to be replaced,you may be able to close this manually,the motor is in the rear of the car,you can manually close or open the roof by puting allen wrench into center of motor and turning.I just looked in owners manual to see if direction is given to access the motor but none is given(it used to be).The headliner can be partially removed in the rear enough to get at motor,you will need to remove both pillar trim pieces on each side and 3 -4 clips that hold headliner up to the roof.Your tool kit may have a allen wrench for this purpose ,check it out ,if you do not find it I believe its a 1/4" wrench ,thanks