Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

1999 Subaru Impreza 2.2 EJ22 motor I have fire but the it is…

Customer Question
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.2 EJ22...
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.2 EJ22 motor I have fire but the it is running on the left 2 cylinders, New cam and crank senor, plug and wirers and new injectors , Help
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
11/21/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello Chuck,

Have you verifed the cam timing is correct?

Have you conducted a compression test?

Gary

Timing is good , haven't done a compression test yet

Ok, cam timing is correct, plugs are firing in the correct order, injectors are firing ok?

Could be a head gasket on the right hand bank.

How many miles on this engine?

Gary

147.000
The injectors are putting out fuel because it back fires in the exhaust, and when I pull the plug off the injectors on 1 and 3 it stops exploding the excess fuel in the exhaust

If the ignition lead routing is definitely correct, then compression test is next.

All spark plugs out, compression test and leakdowm test also if you keen to hear the loss.

One of the three necessities for combustion is missing.

You clearly have fuel on that bank, low or no compression from burnt exhaust valves or head gasket will have unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Gary

How can I tell if the fire firing order is showing correctly
I tried using an old Suntec timing gun it showed good fire on the left but it shows little to no fire on the right but when you pull the plugs off I have good fire down at the wires

Are the leads routed from the front coil to each front cylinders, both banks, and same for the rears? Looks logical as per Subaru design.

they are

Have you swapped the leads around and it still does this?

If so, compression test is next.

The spark plugs should show what is going on.

If they show partial firing, I'd say low compression, if they show no firing, wet tips, then weak or no spark. Need good eyes to pick which one.

Gary

Could there be a burned valve or stuck one

There could be.

Compression test will reveal this.

Gary

3 cylinders 180 number three 120 hold head and the number one 3 side which would be the right side head gasket failure

Could be blown gasket into crankcase area, high blowby, or burnt exhaust valve.

Now you know which cylinder, compare differences between the pair on that head on disassembly.

Gary

Gary thank you for your AWESOME help, what is the best way to get a good seal with the head gasket, using fel pro gaskets. can you us Indian Head Sealant on it to get a better seal or ?

I have dealt with these boys before, they are the best for me.

They offer a "Cosworth" headgasket as an option.

https://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/services/head-gasket-repairs/

You should be able to find equivalent MLS gasket from your parts supplier.

Can get a bit pricey by the time you replace the many parts it will need.

Gary

Is there any updates on torque specifics on the heads on the 2.2

For normally aspirated, I would use the factory torque specs.

Bollt pattern

3 1 6
5 2 4

1) All to 22 ft-lbs
2) All to 51 ft-lbs
3) Loosen all 180 degrees
4) Loosen all additionnal 180 degrees
5) 1 and 2 only to 25 ft-lbs (non turbo charged, 27 if turboed)
6) 3, 4, 5 and 6 132 in-lbs (non turboed, 168 in-lbs if turboed)
7) Tighten all bolts an additionnal 90 degrees
8) Tighten all bolts an additionnal 90 degrees
NOTE THAT (6) IS IN IN-LBS AND NOT FT-LBS.

Gary

Would you recommend a additional sealer like Indian Head sealer to put on the gasket before putting everything back in place

If you have a access to a spray headgasket lacquer then a light coat is fine.

Dry is also ok.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician