Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

Both of my 2013 outback's low beams went out at the same

Customer Question
both of my 2013 outback's...
both of my 2013 outback's low beams went out at the same time
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, by myself. Both fuses show continuity. I bought new bulbs, but thought I should check if it might be something else before replacing bulbs.
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?
Customer: Yes, that was how I found the correct fuses and bulbs.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all I can think of.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Subaru
11/19/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 25 days ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

OK check for power and continuity on fuse 24 and 23 in the underhood fuse compartment

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
what power should I find on the fuses?

battery voltage

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
23 - 13.87
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
24 - nothing

if you remove the fuse do you get power on the terminals?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
That was how I measured them, with the fuses remove (multimeter contacts on the terminals). I forgot to mention, both fuse show they are fine.

so one of the low beams should be working, that would be the left front light, I would check it at the harness for power and ground, but you should have power on 24 if there is power on 23, there is a low headlight relay in that same panel I would switch it out and check for power on 23 again

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
my manual doesn't label relays. I see two purple boxes with 30 on the left. Is it one of those or another one? I don't have any relays, would have to go buy one.

there should be a like relay there and you can just swap it out for testing, let me see if I can find a layout for that

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
my manual says 23 and 24 are for rear wiper and rear and front washer. 4 and 5 are the low beam

whats your vin so I can double check my diagram, make sure we are on the same page

you are at the fuse panel underhood right?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Under the hood, to the right of the engine (looks like the drawing in the manual). There is no power at 4 or 5.
vin 4S4BRBCC9D1219082
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It is blue with very light grey lettering that is exceedingly hard to read, but the middle row looks to start with 07-0
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
looks like it ends in 2521

can you sens pic of it and I can tell you what pins to check for what signal

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
can I reply to text, to does it have to be here using the "+Add files"?

here on add files

ok so check 1 and 2 one will be power and the other ground, 3 will be a constant power and 4 will give power to the lights when the relay is activated so there should be nothing on that if your checking terminals, if you throw power to 4 you should have low beams

and of course with the low beams on

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
looking down on the terminals (in the fusebox), with the horizonal posts at the bottom, and the vertical posts on the top (i.e., as if the picture of the bottom I sent was actually the seat in the fusebox and not the relay posts), and the red contact on the lower horizonal post, I getleft vertical - 12.11v
right vertical - 10.85v
upper horizonal - nothingusing a post other than the lower horizonal for red doesn't do anything to the other three posts
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
sorry, I didn't get the last part "with the low beams on". I did the measurements with the key out of the ignition.

ok ill wait for the other tests

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
with the engine running and the lights on, using the lower horizonal for power, I couldn't get lights on (using a 12 ga wire). I was able to recordleft vertical - 11.8v
right vertical - 0.68v
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
when I was testing, I didn't run anything to the ground. should there have been a wire from the ground to the verticals in addition to the power?

I think we may have a communication problem, ill open this back up and see if someone else can explain it better

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you, ***** *****'ll just try changing the bulbs and go from there.Please discontinue this thread.Have a nice day!
Subaru Mechanic: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 25 days ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

did changing the bulbs fix it?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I started to remove the plastic clips from the wheel well to get to the light, then decided I'll wait until I can buy some spare clips as one of them was starting to come apart while trying to remove it.I have to say I was surprised that the previous person suddenly decided we were miss-communicating, with out any indication of a problem, and cut off the session. That, coupled with his having me work with the wrong fuses to start out with, lead to my decision to stop using your service. If changing the bulbs doesn't resolve the issue, I'll take it into a Subaru dealership.Have a good night.

i apoligise that you had a bad experience...99 percent of the time its the bulbs...one burns out and the second one gets a voltage spike and kills it...i can leave this open for you or send a refund request to customer service ...thats up to you

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you, ***** *****'d prefer to close this. Do you send the request, or do I?

change the bulbs best of luck and i will do the request for you...best of luck..

Kevin C.
Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.