Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Battery on my new 2017 Subaru Forester runs down - car on,y…

Customer Question
battery on my new...

battery on my new 2017 Subaru Forester runs down - car on,y has 3400 miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Battery tested at 12.14 but car won't even budge to turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Don't know how to check for leakage

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Subaru service dept won't even give me a new battery

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Subaru
11/19/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

If the battery measures 12.14v when the vehicle will not turn over, it is NOT run down. It is holding a charge fine and there is no reason to replace it. Normal battery voltage with engine off is 11.75 to 12.5 volts. So yours is well within that.

Your vehicle has another issue - either ignition switch/push button is faulty, immobilizer module faulty, dead spot in the starter, faulty transmission position switch, brake switch faulty.

All the above mentioned need to be tested when it will not turn over to determine which. This means that you may need to leave the vehicle with the dealer for a few days. As it is a new vehicle, they should put you in a loaner vehicle while they have your vehicle. You will likely need to speed to the general manager of the dealership to get a loaner vehicle.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.