Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited, 125K miles, engine light is on…

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited...

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited, 125K miles, engine light is on plus I cannot shift unless pushing done in the hole underneath the shift cover

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

Not yet, I should go to a Subaru dealer?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing tried yet, it is an old company car a previous employee used and we like to sell it.

11/19/2017
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do my best to help you today.To make sure I don't miss anything give me a minute to review you question.

Hi,do you have any tools to read diagnostic code?Do you know if the brakes lights are operating?

No tools have to check the brake lights later need a second person

Most auto parts stores will read the codes for free ,it's imperative to know the code so I can help narrow down problem.

tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Ok, to the autoparts store next, what about the shifter problem.

Could be related to the check engine light.

How to fix the lockout shifter? Today I have to use a screwdriver to shift from Park, I can hear the solenoid click, I assume an adjustment of the solenoid release arm to the shifter is needed

Its possible if you hear solenoid click the problem is the release is sticking ,this could be from split drinks etc.. finding there way down there ,lubricating the release is sometimes all it needs, if you are in a area that gets colder temps we find if the release is sticking from it being gummed up it gets worse in cold temps .

Ok, spray WD40 down in the hole and work it by pushing the button?

No,you will need to disassemble the top part of shifter, you need to get to the plunger that pushes release rod

Disassemble the top part from the shifter end inside the car? I need to review it.

Yes, place shifter in neutral, remove screws holding cover for emergency brake ,lift cover then lift cover for shifter ,remove 2 screws holding shift handle,gently raise handle while applying slight pressure to button,lift shift panel away now you will be able see shift release plunger ,you will also see it moving while you place foot on brake while it is in park .

Ok, will do, then spray degreaser? Many thanks.

iIwould go with the WD-40

Ok, thanks, ***** *****

Thank you!