Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Subaru Forester with a 5 speed and I’m getting…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a 2000...
Hello. I have a 2000 Subaru Forester with a 5 speed and I’m getting a nasty clunk when I accelerate that occurs ever 3 to 5 seconds during steady acceleration. When I turn a corner,it seems to get worse. I thought maybe it was the viscous coupler but that doesn’t explain why it makes the noise while I’m accelerating on a straight,flat road. The more load I put on it,the more frequent it becomes but it stops as soon as I decelerate. It seems to be much louder at low RPMs. Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/17/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 5 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,thanks for your question.This sounds like a bad axle ,have you had any work done recently?

I just recently purchased the car but I have $3800 in receipts for a new engine,radiator,etc but no drivetrain work. The drivetrain has 220,000 miles on it so it very well could be. I brought it to a tranny shop and he couldn’t get it to clunk/lunge on the lift but he test drove it and heard the problem. Would the axle only clunk under load?
Does a faulty viscous coupler ever clunk on straight roads or is it only corners? It gets more frequent and much louder when I’m turning corners and accelerating.

Yes indeed,when a load is applied the joint may have excessive play causing the clunk,the axle is accepting the load before the transfer to the wheels.The viscous could do this on straight roads depending on the internals and how long this has been happening,Viscous problems usually occur after driving 10-20 miles though

Ok. The only thing I’d that I’ve heard a CV axle going bad and it sounds nothing like what I’m hearing. Mine is a clunk that’s heavy and loud when I accelerate quickly with a soft lunge.

Noises are tough to diagnose over the internet,if this noise didn't occur on the lift it could be because there is no load (or very minimal) while on lift.I have had bad axles causing some very heavy loud noises but without experiencing it I can't be sure,have all the mounts on engine and trsns been checked?

Is there a way to check a CV to see if it’s gone bad? I got under it and shook them both to check for play but they seemed normal.
Yeah,I understand. It’s a tricky diagnosis via internet. You’ve given me another possible remedy though so I appreciate it. I’ll check it out.

Just by checking for play up/down and side to side better to check when up in the air

I’m assuming that the mounts were checked/replaced when the engine was replaced but I can’t be sure.
Great. Thanks.

Thats something under a load that can cause loud heavy clunking driving straight or cornering

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician