Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5l non turbo. Cranks but…

I have a 2004 Subaru...
I have a 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5l non turbo. Cranks but won’t start and obd connector is inop. I found fuse SBF No. 5 to be blown it’s a 30 amp an when replacing it blows again. I can’t find any info on this?
11/15/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Does it blow even before you turn the key on?

it does
Every time I put one in and before I start it it blows

Ok, this is really probably going to be fun to find to say the least.

Did you have an airbag light on or anything before this happened?

Does the car have any aftermarket stuff on it?
Remote starter or security system?

Aftermarket radio even?

completely stock an only check engine light was on an off

Ok,

The place to start is going to have to be unplugging most of the stuff on the circuit.

Here is a list of items it powers up.

I think I would unplug the throttle and the fuel pump first to be honest.

Maybe inspect the ECM connector for any signs of green corrosion.

Ok cool I’ll do that an let u know shortly

it's probably going to be tough for us to find the problem like this to be honest, but at least we can get going the right direction I think.

Do you have a volt meter if we need it?

They had a coolant leak about 2 weeks ago an had to replace the upper rad hose only

Doesn't seem like that would cause any electrical issue like this, but take a close look at the wiring on the alternator. It's not showing SBF 5 does anything with it, but it's worth a look. This is a bit like walking in the woods in the dark without a light really!

K coo

Let me know how it goes.

throttle is good I’m not sure which is the fuel pump relay location?
Not labeled

Give me a moment to see if I can locate it for you.

Passenger side kick panel, #3 is the main relay, #4 is the fuel pump relay.

You might actually find rust and corrosion over there causing it.

Make sure to look at the ecm harness as well. It's under the passenger side front carpet.

When I unplugged it my fuse didn’t blow

Ok

I am thinking that is the main relay and not the fuel pump relay. The FP relay i believe would only have 4 prongs.

this one appears to have more. So, it kind of helps.

Is there 4 or 6 prongs on it?

6 prongs

Ok

It's the main relay. Check both wiring harness's to the front and rear O2 sensors, unplug the sensors and put the relay back in if the wiring looks good. This also powers up the OBD port and and the #1 fuel injector, so we are honing in on what could be shorting out I think.

Suspect the O2 sensors though, one of them at least.

neither of the 2 oxygen sensors failed or blew the fuse but when I unplugged the number one injector it didn’t pop

It didn't pop or it did pop?

So, I just reread this, did it pop with #1 plugged in?

When I unplugged injector number one key on Engine off it did not pop. When I tried to start it with injector number one unplugged the fuse popped.
Sorry

Well :(

The only other thing I see is a yellow/blue stripped wire at the ecm. Maybe it's grounded out someplace.

Pull the carpet and check the wires and make sure nothing is grounding out or corroded.

I have to step away for a bit, but I will be back to hook back up with you.

Ok cool

Ok, I rechecked the wiring diagram. It looks like the IAC valve could cause the issue as well as the purge solenoid and the air assist solenoids.

Check these all be cause now we know it's got to be something that powers up when the engine is cranking causing the problem

Also, the main relay is the power supply for the fuel pump relay. Maybe try unplugging the fp relay and cranking it and see if it blows the fuse.

Can I get back with you tom on it

sure can

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
It turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor itself that had the internal failure.
Thank you for your help

You are very welcome! For some reason I thought that had been replaced.

Thank you for the rating!