Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

My son's 2002 impreza security light stays on at all times

Customer Question
however the car starts and...
my son's 2002 impreza security light stays on at all times however the car starts and runs as normal. also the horn no longer beeps when using the fob to lock or unlock.
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: light does not blink, its on solid continuously. I'm not sure how to reset it.
JA: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just replaced the battery in one fob and have tried the unlock, opening the door and holding the unlock button down on the fob with no luck.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: he has a second fob programmed to the car that has a dead battery...could that be an issue?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Subaru
11/16/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 30 days ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,thanks for your question.When you press button on fob does red light in upper corner illuminate?I would separate halves of remote first and bend battery contacts to make sure signal is strong,you should get the horn to operate when unlocking door by pressing both buttons on fob with door open.If this does not work I suggest turning ignition to ON (engine not running) remove both battery cables ,hold battery cables together for 1 minute (this drains all capacitors)reconnect cables turn ignition off and remove key.Now try remote ,let me know if this works,thanks.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The remote fob works fine.I did the above steps and the security light on the dash still remains lit at all times.

Hi,so we made some progress then,is the security light on while driving?Unlock all doors ,open drivers door press and hold unlock button this should switch from valet mode /non valet mode , let me know if this makes any changes to security light thanks.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I've tried that numerous times and still the security light stays on constantly both when the car is off and when driving.
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 29 days ago

Do you know if this has the security upgrade with the shock sensor ,if you lock vehicle with fob and wait 1 minute and shock the vehicle by slapping windshield or body panel you should get a warning beep this will let me know if its equipped, thanks

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No, it does not have the upgraded security system. The horn used to honk if, when locking or unlocking you pressed either button twice on the fob but since the security light has been constantly on, the only way to get it to honk is to hold the lock button down on the fob which sets off the horn. When I tried your previous suggestion of unlocking then opening the drivers door and holding the unlock button down on the fob, the only thing it did was flash the clearance lights 3 times. The security light stays on constantly whether the car is locked, unlocked, running or parked.

Please allow me to do a little digging here,I need to look into the archives to see if I can come up with a solution

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I should also add that the original fob has always worked properly unless the battery needed to be replaced. We purchased an additional fob as a spare from a Subaru dealer last year and had them program that fob however it no longer works to unlock, lock or will remote start the car. The original fob does all 3 functions perfectly, it just that the security light in the dash is always on.

Are you telling me the vehicle has a remote starter?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Sorry, it has a factory remote start.

I'm from the States factory remote starters were not available till the 2007 model year and Impreza 2008,you most likely have a aftermarket remote starter interfaced with your factory remote,we need to find out what aftermarket remote starter you have,when this was installed there is a certain sequence used to make remote starter work this could be the reason the security light is always on.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The security light staying on only started a couple weeks ago. Previous to that it worked fine. The Subaru dealer said it was a Subaru remote starter that is in the car?

Hello again, the remote fob and unit are not Subaru equipment I still believe this is the reason the security light is on, you can try to unplug the unit to see if I'm correct,I tried to goggle the part number on the unit although it is blurry in both pictures and came up with nothing I cannot read what it says beneath the number either.I suggest looking into going to aftermarket auto alarm installer to see if they can get it programmed for you,but like I said unplug unit to see if it takes care of your security light first and go from there,anything that is interfaced with a Subaru keyless is usually the fault of many weird electrical problems.Let me know I'll be on later this evening,thanks

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician