Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

Last week: check engine light & flashing cruise control

Customer Question
Last week: check engine light...
Last week: check engine light & flashing cruise control light came on. The code was a misfire cyl 3.
I got new plugs and wires, new air filter (critter signs) and a gently used coil pack.
I drove from MA to WV for some charity work and then the next day the lights came back on. This time misfire cyl 4 code and a definite misfire/shuddering. It happens gently at idle and more pronounced when accelerating, which also bring a temporary flashing of the check engine light. I replaced the coil with a new one. Also new: Cam sensor, Crankshaft sensor. also added a bottle of Seafoam to the tank in case I got bad gas.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It is solid with flashing CC, except when accelerating to say go up a hill, then it will flash briefly before going solid again.
JA: What year is your CC?
Customer: my cruise control? I guess the same as the car 2007
JA: Are you fixing your CC yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Please read my first comment. My mechanic (In MA) did the first work and I and a friend (in WV) have done the curent work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am 600 miles from home and was supposed to be home Sunday night. I am tired and stressed. LOL
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 1 month ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

First, the cruise control light flashing is normal when the check engine light is on. It disables the cruise when the check engine light comes on.

So the real issue here is fixing this misfire problem. You did put a used coil in it, so that could be the problem. However it's also possible that the plug has a problem as well. I know it's new, but if a parts store guy dropped it at any point it can cause a problem. Since the misfire moved, it seems very possible to me.

If you can, with the engine running, spray some water on the coil and the wires. If you see any arcing then you know there is a problem with whatever is arcing. If not, then I think I would change the plug.

Inspect the wiring to the fuel injection carefully if you have signs of rodent damage as well.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I figured the used coil could be the problem, so I did change that out already. I will check for arcing and try changing out the plug, as well as reinspect the wiring.

Sounds good, let me know how it goes. Hopefully it's not something in the engine causing the problem.

Is it a Subaru coil or aftermarket?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just grabbed a coil from AutoZone.

Ok

Well give it a shot and let's see what happens. Even if you just swap the #2 and #4 plug and see if the misfire moves with it, that could tell us if the plug is bad. I had one of these one time do this to me with a new set of plugs, it's part of the reason I am suggesting it.

Do you need more help with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician