Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Subaru Tribeca. I have an electrical problem…

I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Subaru Tribeca

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tribeca yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I have an electrical problem which the garage are having difficulty diagnosing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, the brake warning light is coming on intermittently, and the lights around the stereo head unit are going on and off intermittently

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? Does the light stay on steady or is it intermittent?

Yes, break fluid is fine.

11/14/2017
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,thanks for your question please give me a moment to review it.Thank you.

Hi,can you give me a brief idea of what the shop has done so far?

Sure. I bought the Tribeca only a few weeks ago. Then, took it to my usual garage to get it serviced ( I have another Subaru which they have looked after for years). It needed a new battery, and I had some upgrades like HID lights, a GROM Bluetooth kit and the electrical problems showed up during the installations, but I am told are not related. The alternator in the car was changed shortly before I bought it. It is a Lucas (Part No###-##-####. The garage said that this may be the cause, but they are not sure. The Brake Warning light has been coming on and off intermittently and was doing so, prior to the garage works. I currently have the lights around the stereo area going on and off intermittently and also the light for turning right on the dash isn't illuminating all the time, but again, has been intermittent.
When the lights go off around the stereo unit, the lights in the dash for the speedo and rev counter light up brighter and then revert when the stereo lights come back.

Thanks,the alternators for all Subaru's if not OEM or Subaru remanufactured are the source for many problems it seems,the problems your describing are acting like a charging system fault.I think your garage is on the right track here,I would change out the alternator first preferably with a OEM or Subaru remanufactured the price for them will be more so your aware.We have found poor voltage regulators in the aftermarket alternators causing electrical concerns.

tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician