Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

It simply died. A local mechanic replaced the crankshaft…

Customer Question
It simply died....

It simply died. A local mechanic replaced the crankshaft sensor. I drove it about 2 miles and it suddenly died again. He says he has checked the crankshaft sensor and it seems fine but the signal doesn't seem to be getting through to the computer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

No. THe first time I was sitting at a light and there was no sound. When I stepped on the gas, nothing happened. It would crank, but wouldn't turn over. I had it towed to the mechanic who replaced the sensor. The second time, I was actually driving, I'd reached the bottom of a hill and when I started to try to accelerate, nothing. It did start sputtering and having a lot of problems about 6-8weeks earlier. THe mechanic diagnosed a bad coil and replaced it. No problem since then, including a long trip at turnpike speeds.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2005 Forrester

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

NO. I've taken it to a neighborhood mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of. We've had it for about 3 years and there have been no other problems other than standard maintenance.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
11/13/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 5 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do you happen to know if there was a code for the crank sensor? Is that why it was replaced?
Is it still throwing a code for the crank sensor?

There was. I don't know off hand what it was. I'll find out from the mechanic and get back to you first thing tomorrow.

Ok

If it's still throwing a crank sensor code, ask him to check the timing belt. If the belt has jumped time it could be causing the problem. Also if it's giving a cam sensor code. Same thing, that will cause the engine to stop fuel injector pulse and spark.

I will be on by 12 pm Eastern time tomorrow. Just post here and I will get it.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure he took off the timing chain cover to check that nothing inside was broken. He did mention the Cam sensor as well, so I think he's looked into both of those. I'll get back to you.

Sounds good. He can check the alignment marks on the belt, plus he can or should be able to see the cam and crank sensors on a scan tool. Then basically he's got to check and make sure they are getting power, ground and sending signal to the computer. If not, it's possible the computer has failed. It's not common, but it does happen.

Do you need more help with this question?

OK. Just got off the phone with my neighborhood mechanic. He says the two codes he's gotten are PO340 and PO341. He checked and both sensors are good. He says that the pulse is getting to the injectors because he can smell gas. The coil is not firing and he says it's not getting pulse. He did replace the coil a couple of months ago. It had occasionally 'missed' intermittently in weeks before and it suddenly started running very rough. It had been fine since then until it suddenly died without any warning. He says he thinks it's the ECU and that must be replaced by a dealer.

Ok, I just need to say a couple things here about this. I am not knocking your guy be any stretch, but this is important. The ECM does have to be replaced by the dealer, and it's not cheap, so we need to make sure all bases are covered.

First, Both of these codes are for the cam sensor. Since the sensor was replaced and the code is still there, it really points to a possible timing belt issue.

I think he needs to use a noid light on the injectors to make sure there is pulse. To me, I smell fuel isn't a good test to be honest. The cam sensor drives injector pulse and spark. So, if the timing is on and you have injector pulse, you should have spark, if not, then OK bad computer. But when I see this code, it's very possible the timing is off far enough for you to have pulse and no spark. If all of this has been properly checked, then I would completely agree with your mechanic that there is something going on with the computer.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician