Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

There was a 0336 which came up when the car wouldn't start…

Customer Question
Hi, there was a 0336...
Hi, there was a 0336 which came up when the car wouldn't start and the battery voltage went low. So preventavely replaced the camshaft sensor and battery . Still same outcome. Last night I removed the fuel filter and emptied it into a clear glass. Had about 1/5 the of water in there. My thinking is, if there is water in the filter (under the hood), then there might be a similar percentage in the tank ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: George H., Subaru Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Did you replace the cam and the crank sensor?

If you spray starting fluid in the intake will the engine start and run for a few seconds?

Hi George, replaced both sensors.the engine starts fine when cold and runs very smooth. Right now had the engine running at 72deg Celsius and turned it off AND the engine would not restart. Put 50ml fuel into the intake but wouldnt start. Also recognized that the shifter Relais for the gear shifter does not engage or disengage when pushing the brake. Very frustrating...

OK this is not what I got from your post so I will have to OPT OUT of your question. Maybe one of the other techs will be able to help

Subaru Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

P0336 is for the crank sensor's signal. If this is still setting then you do still have an issue with the crank sensor signal, whether it's a tone wheel problem, wiring, or the sensor itself. It's very possible that you have a bad replacement sensor. You definitely have a fuel contamination issue though.

No vehicle information was posted with the question. What year, make and model is the vehicle and what engine do you have?
Did you clear the P0336 to see if it or any other codes return?

Hi, the car is a 2000 Subaru Outback, sohc 2.5l automatic. I compared the old and new resistence of the sensors and they are identical. Wonder if there could be a timing issue. I lined up the timing marks for the camshaft pulleys and crankshaft sprocket according to the Haynes manual, but will check again Monday morning. Would an offset of one tooth on one of the camshaft pulleys cause the engine to start up bad when warmed up ? Thougt that the time advancing is different for cold and warm engines .
Hi, yes I cleared the 0336 but it never came up, really. What is sense is when I start up the cold engine the starter turns once or twice and gets a very hard reaction from the engine itself. Feels like the engine wants to go against the starter but then finally starts. Definitely hard on the starter.
Has the battery been load tested?
Hi, the battery is new

It was replaced to try to repair the current problem and there was no change in cranking speed?

No, basically the same.

Is there any abnormal noise once the engine starts?

No, sounds smooth

What year, make and model is the vehicle and what engine do you have?

Hi, thought I sent this to you already. 2000 Subaru Outback ,2.5l automatic Sohc

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

I didn't see one of your posts previously but do now.

When was cam timing disturbed opposed to the current symptoms starting?

Hi, the only time when cam timing came up was when the battery got low after trying to turn on the warm engine. That was the only time when error code 336 came up. After that , never again.1 I replaced both camshaft and crankshaft sensor2 bought a new battery3 reset error code4 started the engine cold and ran perfectly smooth5 EVERY time I turn off the engine when warm, I cannot restart for a few hours6 no error codes , also never let the battery go too low.7 last night emptied fuel filter and removed water with air pressure and alcohol. Added fuel injector cleaner to the tank this morning.8 engine started fine this morning. Not restarting after warming up9 in the afternoon checked the timing again ,(new belt) and it lines up perfect, so timing is good10 emptied fuel filter sgain and no water inside (checked with a clear glass). Started the cold engine and ran fine11 turned off engine and wouldn't start when warm. Checked for sparks , NO spark ,!!! So engine does not produce spark when trying to start the warm engine12 replaced spark plugs , enginenot starting when warm13 checked All fuses. Fuses ok .Any ideas ?Harry

When was the timing belt replaced as opposed to the current problem starting?

At 192,000km. Engine had now slightly over 193,800km on it

After having the no start condition with lost spark did you check for fault codes again?

no fault codes

Are you using a generic code reader or an actual scan tool?

Obd2 scanner. Look, don't want to be rude, but if you have a hint of what is going on, it might be nice to share it. If the car is running while warmed up, it means that the ignition and timing sensors work. Turning off and on again might indicate a stick or dirty or burned Relais , Don't you think ?
I mean a stuck Relais...

It's going to require testing to determine what is wrong. It isn't possible to know exactly what is wrong based on a problem description.

The fact that it runs sometimes doesn't rule out any components. When it doesn't run it's because something in the ignition system isn't working.

If you don't know if you're using a code reader or a scan tool then you can post the brand and model. An actual scan tool is going to be necessary to proceed with testing.