Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2011 3.6 outback wont start. New battery. Starter oknew

Customer Question
2011 3.6 outback wont...

2011 3.6 outback wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

New battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes , starter oknew battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Lights on dash flahing brake temp

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
ignition switch seems to engage and click under the steering column. No click or starter engage under the hood.
11/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician replied 5 months ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you own a test light or volt meter?

Test light

Remove the starter relay, have a helper hold the key in the start position. How many pins at the relay hole have voltage?

Where is the stater relay
Can’t find my meter

Lets just try this at the starter then. Key in the run position use a tool or wire to briefly jump across both wires to the starter, does it crank and does it start?

Cranks over will not start

Left kick panel, is fuse 21 powered with the key in the start position?

when the key is in start mode power in on 21

Remove the inhibitor relay also in the left kick panel. Does fuse 21 power pins 2 and 4 when trying to start? Is pin 1 grounded when trying to start?

What is the location of the inhibitor relay ?

It is in the left kick panel in the fuse and relay panel.

There are 5 relays in the left kickoanel

Do you have an owners manual showing you the fuse and relay locations?

It only shows the fuses not the relays

Unfortunately I do not have fuse or relay diagrams, just the wire diagram and the location description. I have an idea what is to blame, and the diagrams but that is all. I can opt out though to see if another can help if that is best for you.

I though you would know the location
I guess I will opt out

opting out, best of luck

Subaru Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that can cause a no start condition and it's going to require some testing to determine what is going on. The problem may be with the ignition switch, the starter relay, wiring, it may be transmission range sensor related, the problem may be with the engine controller itself.

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Have you checked to see if scan tool communication is possible?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician