Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I don’t know! Rear brakes engaged for no reason on my 2011…

Customer Question
I don’t know! Rear...

I don’t know! Rear brakes engaged for no reason on my 2011 Forester, need to learn about ABS and VDC apparently

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Subaru Forester. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No warning lights, transmission and differential serviced, tire pressure checked

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
Brakes okay as well
Am not really sure if it’s ABS or VDC. Completely clueless.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Read up about ABS and VDC. I think I have a VDC malfunction. This happened when accelerating and turning.
Might there be a problem with it accidentally engaging/disengaging under these conditions? Is there an SB related to this issue?From my understanding of VDC it is set back to engage when turning off and restarting vehicle
Might I be able to do that if problem happens again when I take it to mechanic? It’s an hour away. Mechanic is Subaru specific and has access to software updates, SBs etc.
11/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Traction control and stability control both have the ability to apply the brakes on each wheel as it sees necessary. If the brakes applied momentarily when accelerating while turning then that may have been normal operation. They woudln't stay applied though, it would be modulated for a brief period only while the stability or traction control event was taking place.

Can you explain exactly what you experienced?

I figured it out myself

I'm glad you got it repaired.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician