Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

No start with key, only starts with remote, new battery, new…

Customer Question
No start with key...

No start with key, only starts with remote, new battery, new starter and solenoid. when turning key I only hear clicking under the dashboard like a blinker, not the starter solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Keys are fine, one morning it ust would not do anything but click. and the clicking continues after I remove the key for about 10 seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Subaru?

06 forester ll bean with non-smart key

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It starts and drives if I start it with the remote, ust cant use the keys

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
I tried it in Neutral as well as park, same symptoms. I put a meter on the lead going to the solenoid and when I turn the key it reads 6.7v not 12 as expected.
I removed the knee bolster under the dash and determined the clicking is coming from the remote starter unit.
11/11/2017
Subaru Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, is this an aftermarket remote start installed?

It looks like it

ok, I'm going to opt out and let another tech handle this. I don't do aftermarket installs due to the problems they induce. Please do not reply back or it will take the question off of the board.

refund my fee please
Kevin C.
Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.