Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

We have a 1998 Subaru Outback Legacy that was in a very

Customer Question
minor front end fender bender...
We have a 1998 Subaru Outback Legacy that was in a very minor front end fender bender (no damage to either car and airbags did not deploy). The car tries to crank the engine and all electrical systems work but the engine will not turn over.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: How do we check that?
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We'll only fix it if it's super simple my daughter and I are pretty girly girls and don't know a lot but we've tried looking for an impact switch to no avail, we've followed the instructions for a flooded engine in the manual also didn't work. I checked the fuses in the main fuse box(didn't expect that to be an issue since electric seems fine) tried to check the spark plugs but to be honest they didn't look like spark plugs when i pulled off the cable so I'm not even sure if I was looking at the right thing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Subaru
10/23/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 1 month ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,do you have any aftermarket equipment on the car like a alarm or remote starter?This also could be related to a bad battery or a starter,did you happen to try a jump start yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No because the car seems to have a strong start it just won't turn over and all of the electrical systems seem to be working. No there aren't any after market equipment installs.

Are you saying the engine will crank over but will not start then?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also disconnected the battery this morning and reconnected it and now the headlights are flashing but they aren’t controlled by the hazard light switch in fact I can turn the hazard lights on at the same time and I have two sets of flashing lights.

If you have the key fob to unlock the doors just press either button to stop the flashing,at this point with the no start we could be dealing with no fuel,or spark its possible the timing belt could have broke also,does the engine sound any different when you turn it over(cranking)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We don’t have a key fob. The engine sounds the same as far as I can tell.

There should be a black reset button under the dash by the hood release press the button with the key in the on position

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found it. Now I’m back to square 1 at least

Ok great,if you have a assistant around i would like you to pull the #1 ignition wire of the ignition coil,the coil is directly on top of the engine and should be marked with numbers, while it is removed stand back ,have your assistant crank engine over and let me know if any sparks are coming from it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We finally were home this evening at the same time, we have spark. What next?

The next step would be to see if you are getting fuel,you will need to remove the line coming out of the filter ( located on the drivers side in front of the battery ) to the rail.After removing line you will need a container to catch any fuel that may come out,you should get a nice steady flow of fuel while the engine is turned over.

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician