Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Have a 2010 Subaru Tribeca that has a P0500 code. Trying to…

Have a 2010 Subaru...

Have a 2010 Subaru Tribeca that has a P0500 code. Trying to determine if it's the wheel speed sensors or is the another sensor it could be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?

I haven't looked but I believe it is. I do have an ohmeter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tribeca yourself? What have you tried so far?

Symptoms just came up and yes, I intend to fix it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Has about 180,000 miles

10/11/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This code sets when there is a fault with vehicle speed sensor A

DTC P0500 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR "A"

This is the front drivers or passenger side wheel speed sensor acting up.

What needs to be done from here is to drive the vehicle with a scan tool connected to observe the wheel speed sensor signals from both front wheel speed sensor signals on the scan tools abs data list.You should be able to see which one is at fault needing replaced as it will read incorrectly compared to the actual vehicle speed as well as the other sides wheel speed sensor signal.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, thanks for your help. I've two scan tools and will see which one will give me the sensor readings. I will check it after work today and see which one it is. Tempted to just replace both. Was worried it was one of the sensors in the transmission! Thanks for your time.

Your welcome

According to the code it is a front wheel speed sensor fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
I've changed other wheel speed sensors before so shouldn't be too bad. Again, thanks for your help.

Your welcome