Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2001 subaru h6 outback right timming chain seems a little…

Customer Question
2001 subaru h6 outback...

2001 subaru h6 outback right timming chain seems a little loose is this normal?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?

154000 just replaced head gasket, on reassembley lower cam did not quite line straight up after starting car chech engine lite on code p0010 installed chains with colored links in proper place lower right cam seemed a little off to right side

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am fixing my self,reinstalled chain and all pulleys lined up colored links with marks om

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes i hear a valve chatter with slight excelleration i am sure it is timming should the right timming chain be slightly loose?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Subaru
10/7/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

The chain should not be loose, that would be a tensioner failure or tensioner worn. Now a little loose to worn person is tight enough to the next. I am not there to feel it in person. If there is noise from the chain then it is to loose.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician