Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 1993 1.8L subaru (engine only) that I can't get to…

Customer Question
I have a 1993 1.8L...
I have a 1993 1.8L subaru (engine only) that I can't get to run (no code reader capability). Someone recommended a 1997 Suraru Impreza Brighton ECU. I have one now. The part number is ***** 22611 AC820 A18-000 D25 6626. I have a connector from a 1997 which fits physically but not electrically. I also have a 1997 wiring diagrom, but the pins don't match the wiring diagram (eautorepair.net). If I change out all the pins (which is no little job), 1. Do I have a chance that the engine will run, or is the mismatch too great? 2. Is there a better wiring diagram source?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Subaru
10/5/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 10 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am not sure who recommended that, but it will not work. Your vehicle is an obd1 an the 97 is and obd2. They are not interchangeable or compatible. Sensors are different. Signals are different, communication is different.

You need an ECU from a 92-95 in order for it to work

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.