Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Had an overheating issue with my 3.0 H6 out of a 2007 Subaru…

Customer Question
Had an overheating issue...

Had an overheating issue with my 3.0 H6 out of a 2007 Subaru B9 Tribeca. I've had a shop replace the head gaskets,water pump and thermostat.. Upon this replacement it was found that the right side head block was cracked at between some valves, so replaced the head block entirely as well. The problem now lies when the shop placed the engine back together, that it will not stay running and run rough from the start. There is a sweet smell and white smoke coming from the exhaust and all cylinders are failing on that block that was replaced, leaving to believe there is coolant getting into the cylinders. Compression, fuel and spark are good. Everything ran well prior to this operation, just would intermittently overheat. Curious as to if this would be the engine block that is cracked as well or the head gasket just didn't get seated properly or something else all together. Vehicle is still at the shop and they have been unable to fully diagnosis this problem. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Yes, the temp got high. Hence the work that was done on the engine. Could tell you the last time serviced, purchased the vehicle and now have this problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B9 Tribeca yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Having a repair shop do this work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think I've covered it, the best I can.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Subaru
10/5/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mike S., Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

White smoke does indicate antifreeze being burned in the combustion chamber.

If the compression is still good, then it don't appear to be a blown head gasket and also it would be difficult to believe that if more than one cylinder has anti-freeze in it that it would be a blown head gasket anyhow or even a crank I the block or cylinder wall.

A possible ant-freeze leak entering all of those cylinders perhaps through a leaking intake manifold sounds more logical.

I will have them check into that. That's one that I've not considered.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Did they find the cause yet?

The intake manifold is not at fault. No leak from the gasket or crack in the manifold. I do wonder why this was suggestedThe shop showed me that there really is not anything coming out of cylinder 3 (Basically a dead cylinder at it's current state) and shortly after startup 1 & 5 cylinder die out and the engine shuts down from there.The shop is coming to it either being something wrong with that head block assembly or possibly a cracked engine block. I'm more along the lines of the head block assembly, because of the fact the engine ran well prior to having that interjected into the system. Having the tech from the where the head assembly contact the shop to determine all the valves are working properly. (Note that this head block assembly came to the shop as a readily assembled, just bolt it on and go type of a part.) So it that don't work, I might suggest they look at the timing on that side again to make sure something wasn't off when they changed the chains and tensioners when they placed that new head onto the engine block.

The reason I suggested it was because you said more than one cylinder was , well here is what you said, "all cylinders are failing on that block that was replaced, leaving to believe there is coolant getting into the cylinders"

Did they ever consider that perhaps it's the fuel injectors hutting down due to a loose or shorted wiring harness on that bank?

maybe the white smoke is just from 1 cylinder and not all 3.