Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Our 2017 Subaru Forester was purchased in April and we have…

Customer Question
Our 2017 Subaru Forester...

Our 2017 Subaru Forester was purchased in April and we have loved it--until this weekend when we returned from a 2 week vacation out of the country. The Forester was sitting in our garage for that length of time. When we returned the battery was totally dead and we had to use the mechanical key to open the door. Subaru roadside assist sent a local towing company our to jump start it--so good service there! But we do not have an explanation as to why this happened. There were no lights left on. One of the service department technicians told us that this would happen "because of the drain on the battery by all the computers" and that we "should just carry jumper cables". We find it difficult to believe that Subaru would have such a flaw. What ideas do you have to prevent this from happening again?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

The person who jumped the battery said the car was charging appropriately at 14 volts once it started, and it's a 6 month old battery. What do you mean by "have we ever changed one before?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

The forester is working well since the battery was jumped. How do we keep this from happening again?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

What typically happens is the security system drains the battery over this length of time. The small indicator light doesn't use much power at all, but the security computer is also pulling some voltage. Normally the car is driven even a couple times a week and this isn't a problem. Longer stays like this will eventually drain the battery. It is a design flaw that has been there for a long time. I guess they just assume most people will drive the car once in a while. I think the only way you could resolve this is to either possibly leave the car unlocked, OR get a battery charger you can plug into the wall and leave on the car. Get one that will turn off when the battery is at 12 volts so you don't hurt the battery. They call these battery tenders. I used one on my Mustang over the winter so the battery won't drain.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Do you have any more questions for me on this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician