Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I’m having issues with my 2006 Subaru Tribeca. On occasion I…

Customer Question
Hello, I’m having issues...

Hello, I’m having issues with my 2006 Subaru Tribeca. On occasion I have these occurrences. The ebrake, battery, and rear differential lights in dash flicker, when pressing on the brake the radio fuzzes, on the center display panel the outside temp and mpg info states Err, and when I slow down de accelerate down to about 20mph the truck jerks a little. The jerk is sometimes hard, sometimes light, and sometimes no jerk back at all. Went to Subaru dealer twice paid twice and they have no clue. A transmission pro said it’s not the transmission but something else. There are no detectable code other then a oxygen sensor which would not cause these problems. Any ideas before I drive this thing through the dealers showcase window for wasting my time and money.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Yes, they are good and intact. Double check all of them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tribeca yourself? What have you tried so far?

The dealer did a transmission flush, cleaned the rear diff ground, and something else they did I’m not sure about.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also noticed on occasion lately a tick noise coming from the top of the dash on passenger side. It never happened before but it only happened twice. Not sure if this is an electrical issue of low voltage or something. I do minor things myself but not really good finding and resolving electrical problem

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/30/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 8 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,this does sound like a low voltage issue,everything you've described leads to low voltage a battery and charging system test would be something I would do first,do you have a voltmeter?

I do have one but not that electrical savy. What do I need to do? And if there is no problems with charging system and battery then where would the issue be. Alternator has been replaced three years ago so that dairly New.

You would need to attach the probes to the battery and read dc voltage at idle and at 2000 rpm with system loaded (a/c, lights, blower fan,etc...)

I’m stuck, all advise to resolve this problem in text would be great so I can do this step by step. Phone call at this moment won’t work as I’m not home.

sure whatever is best

W
Ok what am I looking for in readings and if that’s not the issue?

you should test battery at about 12.7 -13.6 under no load and up to about 14-14.5 volts under load

The battery and alternator checks out according to the voltage. It has to be something else.

Hi,thanks for checking the voltage readings ,there are many grounding points in the vehicle it's possible a poor ground could be causing this,because there are so many the proper way to attack this is to collect data while the vehicle is acting up,after collecting the data (engine ,transmission,body control etc...)to see what system is being affected.Since there are no diagnostic codes it makes it very hard to locate the exact source so this will take some serious diagnostic skill and equipment.The alternator checks out well now but there could be a wiring issue or a intermittent failure that is not showing up now so that is why I'm recommending the data collection,thanks.I'm here to discuss this further if you would like.

How do you collect data if there are no codes. There are no codes even when these happenings occur.

Every sensor can be viewed in a data stream,when the problem occurs you can compare sensors to see which are malfunctioning,like I was saying in my last post diagnosis of this problem will require some special diagnostic equipment

I wish I could say your advice was helpful but I’m still stuck in this situation. Like I said, I went to the authorized Subaru dealership to get this issue resolved twice. If Subaru dealer can’t fix it then I have no clue who would. In total I’ve seen six auto mechanics including the dealer. Don’t know what else to do.

Understood,from the information that was given this would be my way of attacking the problem,because the problem is intermittent it makes that more difficult.Without having the vehicle in front of me I feel I did my very best to offer advice on getting to the bottom of this,thanks