Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Subaru Forester. I live on a small island

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2009...
Hi, I have a 2009 Subaru Forester. I live on a small island outside the USA called Roatan. This car is a Central American version. Sometimes when I buy parts for it online, the don't fit. I have a suspicion that is because it is a 2.0 foreign version and not the 2.5. It is a DOHC, I know for sure. It is not a turbo. I think one of his photos shows that.Now my mechanic says that it needs head gaskets. He said at that time we should also change the timing chain with that kit and the water pump. I want to buy the right parts. I also want to buy a kit with the better head gaskets that don't have the issues that the original factory head gaskets supposedly do. The car has about 60,000 miles on it and the timing chain hasn't been changed since new.My question is what is my motor? I want to buy the correct parts. Can that be looked up with the info off the date plate? I've attached a photo of that. I see an engine number on it along with the VIN.Thanks,
Steve
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Subaru
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-...jpegWhatsA...jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-09-...jpegWhatsA...jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-09-...jpegWhatsA...jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-09-...jpegWhatsA...jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-09-...jpegWhatsA...jpeg
9/30/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

I will need to opt out on this request. I only have American car info.

Hi, I never heard back.
Subaru Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 7 months ago
mike switzer

right by the alternator if you look down at the block it will have the engine code. it is behind and on the passenger side of the alternator. it looks like an ej20 and any items you buy for an ej20 will fit that. but i can not see the code in the pictures you sent. i would only recommend the factory gaskets. they had problems from the manufacturer but after replacement i never saw problems after. and the timing belt interval is 90k on those but if you are taking it off that is the best time to put on a new one.

thank you! It is an ej20. Can you please tell me what Car that normally corresponds to and then I'll be able to buy all the parts? Is it a 2.0 or 2.5?
Subaru Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 7 months ago

it is a 2.0 that is what the 20 stands for a 2.5 would say ej25

Subaru Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 7 months ago

since i am here in the states we did not have that engine any more for a long time. what i would do is search on rockauto.com as it finds your country based on internet and it may show the engine for your vehicle. if that doesnt work calling the nearest dealership in a central american country that you can order the parts from.

mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer