Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I just installed a fog light kit into my 2017 Impreza. The…

Customer Question
I just installed a...

I just installed a fog light kit into my 2017 Impreza. The kit came with a relay which I installed in the 4th slot from the left on the top row. After the install I noticed what I believe to be a slight bogging down. I first noticed at acceleration, it seemed like I needed to give it more gas than normal. I also noticed it when taking my foot off the gas. It seems that the car slows down more and does not coast like it used to. Is the relay interfering with the fuel injection? Or could it be something else?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

4000. Yes, starts fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing else

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/30/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

can I ask how you grounded the relay? as if you've come off another earth point its possible its dragging down a sensor voltage or the ECU power

might also be worth just pulling the relay and then see how the car drives without it

I have to say if you 've used the existing spare relay socket then its unlikely to be the issue

and I'd try checking for airleaks after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for causing rough running. As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no acc**t touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile