Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

99 Forester original key fab seems to be dead. Changed

Customer Question
99 Forester original key...

99 Forester original key fab seems to be dead. Changed batteries. So go. Ordered new key fab from off market company, which should arrive today. But they said it may not program if alarm is set, which it is. I've been told that if I open with key alone I can stop alarm by turning key in key and/or ignition several times. And if that doesn't work find the reset button under the steering column. Any advice?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

In fob... no. under hood... no.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic out till Monday. I just want to see if it's the fob or the electronics in my car, and to see if car starts of if car batter is dead. And I want to avoid setting off alarm in my condo project until car battery dies.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 10 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

If you cycle the ignition switch from off to on 3 times when the alarm is going off, this will turn it off. As long as it is the factory alarm. Also, you can disconnect the negative battery cable, then turn the ignition key on and reconnect the cable to reset the alarm after the battery has died. This will stop the alarm from going off as well.

Finally, the reset button is over by the hood release cable, if it's still there. By now most have been removed or tucked up under the dash.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Do you need more help with this?