Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

It won't start. Stopped to pee when I came back out it

Customer Question
It won't start. Stopped...

It won't start. Stopped to pee when I came back out it wouldn't even try to crank. Plenty of battery. Check engine light is on and the cruise control light is blinking. Has been running great all day I don't get it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Blinks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2016 crosstrek

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Subaru
I would like to just reset the Ecu is that something you can help me with?
9/29/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 10 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,do you have a 10mm wrench with you, we will need this to disconnect the battery,pliers will work also if you are on stranded,is this a push button start vehicle ?

I have a leatherman what do I do?

I'm suspecting a brake switch problem which is quite common on your model and year vehicle,disconnect negative terminal from battery for about 5 minuets

Okay then just try again?
It's disconnected

Yes ,no guarantees here but if it is a brake switch they do fail intermittently lets hope by resetting you can get back on the road

Ok fingers crossed I'll let you know in a few
That did not work
If I get an obd can I clear it

sure but that generally will not solve problem,is there someone there with you,I'm curious if the brake lamps are working.The brake switch is such a important input on all vehicles now

I can see that the brake lights are working

can you put gear selector into neutral

Don't need it solved right now just need it to start and go 100 more miles
Could it be the fuel pump?

It could be quite a few things actually but am I wrong for assuming there is no cranking ...right?

You are still in factory warranty by time do you have over 36k on vehicle if not you have roadside assistance available

I can put it in neutral and there is no cranking. There is a green light when I press the brake and it feels stiffer than usual
I'm over the mileage or I would have already just called them.

Sorry was just curious,it sounds like brake switch is operating then,it is entirely possible the battery does not have enough power to crank engine over but enough to give you lights etc.... I would try a jump start

Even after driving it all day previous?
Did I tell you solid check engine and blinking cruise control?
Just want to be sure I gave you the right info

Yes ,do you hear any noise while trying to start engine?

Was the check engine light on before you stopped

No noise and no it wasn't

The check engine light will stay on while key is on it will shut off while cranking so I wouldn't be too alarmed over this, do you have any means of jump starting vehicle ?

Not until someone comes around the rest stop. I'll scavenge and let you know.

It's hard when your not there in front of the car ,hope you understand that I'm trying to do the easiest things first,thanks

Hi just wondering how you are doing are you back on the road