Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Forester 2.5X Liminted - my AT oil temp light…

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 Forester 2.5X Liminted - my AT oil temp light came on the other day after a rough jerk and was flashing. i immediately pulled over and turned the car off. After reading the manual found out I should have let it idle. I turned the car back on and the light was gone so proceeded to drive and in less than 1/4 mile the car jerked a couple times again and the light turned on. I have been told as of now it was the temperature sensor is bad. Could that cause the jerking I experienced? I have never felt that previously.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded. Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing it myself. I have it in the shop now, but am trying to find out what I am in for repair wise - you know expect the worse, hope for the best. I religiously take my car in for maintenance, so this just baffles me

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I cant think of anything

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/28/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 10 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** this a CVT automatic transmission?, have you ever done a transmission flush?

have you check for codes on the computer ?

It is automatic but I am not sure what CVT means

constant velocity transmission

can you give me your vin number i can look this up quick for you.

The mechanic did - don't know what they are but he said temperature sensor was bad. As for a flush - I don't know, I have had it changed, is that the same - mechanically challenged here
I would have no clue if it were CVT or not Is there something on the car that would tell you?
give me a minute
jf2sh6dc6ah783614

ok let me check give me 2 minutes.

ok will be driving and not able to respond

yes you have a CVT transmission

if you have over 70k miles on this vehicle the transmission fluid should be replace this will cause overheating of the transmission internal parts and cause lack of power and binding of the gears very noticeable problem,

if the fluid was already replace then have your mechanic do the following....Check for a ground on pin 15 Blue/Yellow on transmission bulk connector B11. You should have .05 V or less, add a ground as needed.
Check for a signal on pin 11 Orange wire, should be about 2 V if the transmission is cold.
Check the wiring between TCM pins A23 and B11 pin 11, and A12 and B11 pin 15.
If good ground is noted and the signal for the automatic transmission fluid temperature sensor is 0 V, unplug the transmission and check again, you should have 5 V. Check the internal continuity between pins 11 and 15 on the transmission side of connector B11. You should have 300-800 ohms. If the sensor is shorted, there is damage to the sensor or the harness inside the transmission. The temperature sensor looks like it is not sold separately of the valve body.

I will pass this on to my mechanic today - Thank you

OK thank you.