Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I am trying to determine the labor time to remove and

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to determine the labor time to remove and replace the fuel tank in my 2009 Subaru Forrester.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Check engine light has led mechanic to a sensor on the tank. Corrosion is reason they say tank needs to be replaced since it broke off during the inspection. Vehicle runs fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Vehicle is at local dealer. Repairs went from $635 for parts they ordered to over $1,800 because of new tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am trying to figure out why the labor time they have quoted me is so high.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/26/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Master Auto Tech., ASE Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., ASE Master Technician
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So labor r&r on the tank is 3.5hrs. The tank is close to $550 for the part. If your tank is full of gas you may need to add an hr labor for that as emptying and refilling isn't included in the time. If you ask them for a break down on parts and labor I can help better in knowing if it's fair or not.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I satisfactorily answer your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Thanks for your prompt reply. I am sure there could be other factors involved once the job gets started, but it seems straight forward to drop the tank, swap the pick-up, hoses and new sensor, and re-install. The car had less than 1/4 tank of fuel since I knew in advance they needed to remove it to replace the sensor. Their labor estimate is TWICE the time of your estimate and that is what prompted my questions.
Is yours a turbo?
Is it the regular XT or XT limited?
Just looked up the XT limited it says 3.8 if it's rusty or what they call severe. But other wise 3.5 still
Thank you, ***** ***** to be flexable but not taken to the cleaners!
I completely agree. I hope I've been helpful.
Or is there anything else I can help with on this question?
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech.