Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2017 Forester that I have an airbag light on. It…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2017...
Hi I have a 2017 Forester that I have an airbag light on. It had been in an accident. I've replaced components that were blown (this is not my first car) but the airbag light is on. I took it to the dealership and they told me that the wiring needs to be replaced. I have a launch x431 and it's a capable tool but it would not access SRS to pull the code out of it. When the key is in accessory mode I measure roughly 7v going to each front impact sensor. Which means that the wiring to at least the sensors is fine. I don't have a wiring diagram to find the problem, I took it to another subaru specialist and he told me that your module is not waking up that is why I can't access it with a scan tool. What he ment is a lack of power. Can you give me an idea where I should be looking at to fix it so that I can at least fix it so I can retrieve the code from the system.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/23/2017
Subaru Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Master Technician replied 8 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Ok

Hello, Im not sure what wiring you were told needing replaced. I would think since its in an accident, that there wiring in question would be the area of the vehicle that got hit/damaged. Typically when the airbags deploy, if they deployed in the accident, the airbag control module also needs to be replaced and reprogrammed when it deploys the airbags. This is the trigger for the airbags. Will your code reader read every other module in the vehicle and only the airbag system is unresponsive? You checked the fuses for the airbag circuit?

The fuses are fine but I think there are other modules that are unresponsive also. When I run the health check with launch diagnostic it is showing me that it is not equipped with cruise control, impact sensors when in fact it is equiped.

The airbag module should respond as long as it has power and ground, it may be offline due to the fact the car was in the accident and deployed the airbags. Or the software in your scan tool isnt compliant with the 2017 model year. You would have to check with the scan tool manufacturer to be sure its not an issue with their scan tool not being able to work with this newer model year vehicle.

Most inexpensive tools dont work on everything. From what im seeing this tool costs about 150.00. It is probably limited on what it can do.

But at the same time I can check check engine, and some other functions and even when I'm in SRs I can do one small function, I can see if the passenger seatbelt is buckled or not this tool is a $700.

Ok the one I looked at said it was 150.00 on amazon, it must be a different. Does it pass a network test? Regardless the restraint control module is always replaced when the airbags deploy and it mus be reprogrammed when installed. A dealer scan tool is required to do this or a body shop that has the software to program modules.

what your saying is that even though I installed a new module it still needs to be reset by the dealer? The only thing that consents me is getting 7 v to impact sensors? Is that normal?

Yes the new module comes blank, there is no software in it, you have to have the software downloaded into the new module along with the VIN information. No 7 volts is not normal but if the module hasnt been configured, it will not work/communicate or show its on the network

See the last time when it was taken to the dealer they told us that the wiring harness and the impact sensors needed to be replaced but I did have a wrong impact sensor on one side from an older vehicle and the polarity on the wiring was not correct. I just thought by putting in the correct impact sensor and changing wire polarity would fix the problem and I wouldn't have to reset the light. On my 2015 Foerster the light went off on it's own without sta reset after the module was replaced

Unless the module came pre programmed with the software in it, its not a plug and play module. The light will go out on its own but store codes in memory if the hard fault is gone.

do you think I don't have a power issue to the module? Do you think it's just my tools that are not up to date to 2017? Is there a way I can check the power if it's proper? Because I don't want to get stuck in the same position if I take it to the dealer and they tell me to start over.

The place you bought the module can confirm the need to program the module, I dont know if you got it preprogrammed aftermarket or from the dealer. Long as the wiring has been repaired in the area of the accident. The fuses are good, the module should have power and ground and the software part or the module needs to be installed. That is with any module on newer vehicles today

Is there a way I can make sure? A wire that I should check because I don't know if I have a broken wire else where

Not without backprobing the wiring harness at the airbag which if done incorrectly can make a new airbag pop. Contact the place you bought the module, if its a used part, the wrong vin number is ***** the module and it wont work properly.

It was done professionally, but if take it to the dealer and he tells me that the wiring needs to be replaced then I didn't get anything out of you.

I dont see why wiring would need to be replaced unless it was broken or damaged, or setting a code.?? Wiring to the front crsh sensors? You cant call the professional that did the module to check the system?

It's an original module that was reprogrammed.
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 8 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,new expert here let's start by you telling what type of impact the vehicle took and what airbags deployed and what has been replaced thus far,thanks

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician