Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

In 2014 had a flat LR. Used donut spare. Bought 4 new

Customer Question
In 2014 had a...

In 2014 had a flat LR. Used donut spare. Bought 4 new Pirelli Tires. Noted high frequency vibration at all speeds, but not idle. Did several tire balances, replaced drive shaft, still have vibration. Dealers unable to diagnose.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

The vibration started as soon as the new tires were installed. I paid for balancing including pressure balance. Tire dealer told me it was probably mechanical. He had no clue.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 Subaru?

It is a 2006 Forester

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have always had my car serviced at Joseph Subaru in Florence, KY

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Subaru Florence's response to me is "Can't feel it, can't fix it." In other words they think I'm crazy.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/22/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 9 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is most likely a broken belt in one of the tires, if the vibration was NOT there before replacing them, do you still have the old tires?

I don't have the old tires. One step I left out was that when I bought new tires in 2014 the first set, not the Pirellis, I first noticed the vibration. Thinking that it might be the tires, the shop replaced that set with the Pirellis 3 of which are still on the car. It's hard for me to believe that 2 different sets of new tires would exhibit the same vibration, but I suppose it is possible.
I've read that a tie rod joint might be the culprit. The vibration can be felt mostly in the steering wheel most noticeable at speeds around 65 to 70 mph, but is there at any speed.
Since you have so much experience, do you know of any shops that have vibration analysis equipment trained mechanics?
I don't work on my car, I pay trained mechanics to do it right so no, I don't want a phone call to walk me through. I don't have the equipment or the training and I'm a 96 year old WWII vet with not much money who needs help with a car problem.