Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy Brighton that I bought new. A…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy Brighton that I bought new. A few months ago the airbag light started flashing. It has no been involved in any sort of accident.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

Not that I am aware of.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to the dealer and they plug in their analyzer and said it was code 31

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have discussed the problem with other mechanics and get various suggestions. Nothing works.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/15/2017
Subaru Mechanic: George H., Subaru Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

If you have been to other mechanics and nothing tried works what was tried?

Dealer stated it was a code 31 and for $1200 they would attempt to fix it but would not guarantee that they could. Another independent mechanic tested it and said he got no response on his tester. Also stated that a code 31 was not an air bag code. Another independent electrical technicion stated he would not be able to diagnosis the problem with a tester like the engine light tester but would have to go through the entire system and it could take some time (and money on my part).
He obviously didn't want to do it.

31 is an airbag code, it means the control module has failed. A simple check to see that the module is getting 12 volts with the key on then you replace the module. You can use car-part.com to find a used module or this rebuild (click here) company is quoting $50 to replace it. I would go with the rebuild company. If you are at all handy with a screwdriver you can replace the module yourself.

Let me know if you have further questions. If nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks

Is that something you want to do? $1200 at the dealer for a maybe (no tech there has ever worked on this car) or $50 for a module swap that you can do yourself?

Have I saved you enough money yet?